Networking

Networking in the golf maintenance world has been going on since the days of Old Tom Morris. Never has it been more prevalent than it is today. Social media has opened avenues unlike any other invention and superintendents are thriving. 

Blogs, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Facebook are all used by superintendents around the world. Call us geeks, but those supers who are tuned in, are in the know. 

Personally I connect through many of these sources to learn, grow and become a better manager. I communicate with superintendents, professors, manufacturers and other turf professionals around the world with just a click or a tap.

During the winter months, we all take time to go back to the drawing board, revisit the operation and make changes where needed. Social media helps with getting answers and sparking up new conversations, creating a few laughs and opportunities to learn. 

I get it, social media isn't for everyone. Like anything, it can have its downside. Of course for me, moderation is key. I choose to follow interesting people or I should say, individuals who actually benefit society. There is plenty of junk out there too. 

I have been blogging consistently since 2008. It began as a documentary for an irrigation project at my former club. It turned out to be vehicle for communicating to golfers and decision makers to teach and understand that correct decisions had been made. 

Over my career, my office has never been located in the clubhouse. I cover 200 acres and an irrigation ditch, so most times I am not always readily available to answer questions. I use this blog to do some (not all) of the talking. I have received a number of great comments from many members over the past couple of seasons and they are appreciated. 

Comments