Turf Intern: Dan Sprague

My name is Dan Sprague and I am a student at Colorado State University in Fort Collins.  I am studying Turfgrass Management and Horticulture Business Management and I will be interning in grounds this summer. 
I spent the last year as the vice president of the CSU Turf Management Club, and competed in the Collegiate Turf Bowl at the Golf Industry Show in San Diego in February. My team of four placed eighth out of about 70 teams from schools around the country, and our finish was the best in CSU history.  The Turf Bowl tests students knowledge of course management, with sections ranging from grass and seed identification to mathematics used on the golf course, chemicals,  plant physiology and an essay relating to current issues in golf maintenance. 
My golf course experience started at Indian Peaks Golf Course in Lafayette.  I then went to Boulder Country Club for three years, where I had the opportunity to greatly expand my abilities in maintenance operations.  It was during this time that I went back to school to to study turf management.  Last year I worked at Eagle Springs Golf Club in Wolcott in the Vail Valley, and I was able to get some great experience on a beautiful mountain course that utilizes some interesting nontraditional management practices.
            In my free time, I enjoy biking, hiking, golfing, and pretty much anything else in the great outdoors.  That is a big part of the reason I fell in love with working in golf course maintenance.  I also ski frequently during the winter and I have skied at least once a month for the past 57 months in a row.  I formerly worked winters at Boulder Ski Deals, where I spent six years as a ski tech.  I am an avid reader, and usually have several books on my shelf that I am actively reading.
            I am excited for this summer at Pinehurst, and I can't wait to learn as much as I can from Steve and Kenny.  See you on the links!

Comments